Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Find yourself in the Quiet

It’s been more years than I can count since I really had time alone.  Today I sat in the quiet of my apartment taking that in and trying to see if I was lonely... or relieved. David has been a constant presence by my side for the last 22 months and I am beyond grateful his companionship and love.  Before that I had roommates through all 4 years of college,  15 at once for a year while I lived in the sorority house, and so for the first time, I’m sitting here alone. 

I forgot how nice it is to have some time to yourself.  It’s nice to think and plan and dream quietly all alone. We live in a world that values constant, instantaneous communication.  That constant communication can be wonderful or it can drain you. 

In valuing my quiet time to myself this morning, I put on the Pandora classical for studying as I have a biomechanics exam tomorrow, sat down at my computer, and started to study.  It was as simple as that.  I got up after 20 minutes of uninterrupted study and made a matcha smoothie all with quiet classical music playing in the background.  This new found quiet and peace is fabulous.  I forgot what time by myself felt like, and how productive I can be when I’m left to my own devices with no one to take my attention away from my tasks. 

Time by myself is a commodity that I didn’t realize I was missing.  I love being with my significant other.  He makes me a more relaxed and happy person.  But, we all need time alone.  It may be time spent meditating, sitting in a hot bath reading a smutty book, watching a football game,  or hiking a mountain, but that alone time is key to our personal development and stress relief.  Try to find some time to take today by yourself wherever is peaceful for you and just enjoy the silence.  You may find something you thought you lost long ago- yourself. 

Day in Day out,
Beth

ps.  Firework by the Dallas String Quartet is a great rethinking of the Katy Perry song.  It is relaxing, uplifting, and fun at the same time. Check them out on Pandora or Youtube. 

No comments:

Post a Comment