Thursday, September 4, 2014

3 books and 2 book series to Read/Re-read Now

Reading has always been important to me and it has been a priority for me, for most of my life. Reading is part of my family culture. One of my first real memories is my dad reading to my brother and I before bed each night. Everyone in my family reads.  Books are how we grow, learn, expand our horizons, and visit places and worlds we would never visit otherwise. When we stop growing and stop learning, we stop living. Find a library, a book store, a computer/tablet/smartphone.  Get your nose in a book.

Here are 3 books and 2 book series to Read/Re-read Now

  1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.  No matter how many times I read this book, I discover something new about myself.   I read it as a junior in high school, as a senior getting a Bachelors degree, and again after getting my Master's degree.  Each time, I learn something new about myself and about the journeys that we all travel.
  2. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. There are so many good quotes, life lessons, and battles we all fight in this series. I could go on about the Harry Potter series all day, but I'll respect your time. Read them for yourself- especially if you are a skeptic.  The only way to find out if you really object to something, is to see what it is all about by talking to others or experiencing it.
  3. In Pursuit of Excellence by Terry Orlick.  If you want a book to motivate you and teach you, this one is great! It applies to everyone can be applied to every discipline.  I use it in my office all the time
  4. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. No book has impacted me in such a way, as this one did.  Love is an extremely powerful motivator and without it our world falls apart.  The twists and turns in this book will keep you on your toes the whole time.
  5. The Boxcar Children Series by Gertrude Chandler Warner. Every child wants to be a detective and have adventures. This series not only reminds us that sleuthing never ends, but that you can make something from nothing, if you only have the courage to look in the right places.
Go find a shady tree, a blanket, a book and spend some time re-reading some of your favorite books.  It's amazing what you will get out of them the second or third time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment