Friday, September 26, 2014

What to do in the case of a concussion?

So I came home from work last night to find my boyfriend sitting in bed shaking like a leaf after telling me for hours that his head felt like it was going to explode.  Very strange symptoms for a guy who never gets sick.

 So i put his symptoms into WebMD to try to find out what was wrong. I asked him questions about his symptoms until finally I asked him if he hit his head.  "Oh yeah," he replied. "I hit it hard coming in the window this morning."  I pulled up the symptoms for concussion and we were right on the money. I feel like that was pertinent information to share with me.   He then shared that he had no recollection of time after that, was having trouble remembering what came next, and our english bulldog was very concerned.  He wouldn't leave him alone.

And then, it hit me.  He had a concussion.A concussion is a traumatic brain injury.  For most people, this is not as dangerous as it is for him.  He has had multiple concussions during his hockey career.    He can't count on his hands the number of concussions he has had throughout his life.  Every concussion is dangerous, but the more concussions you have had, the worse the symptoms get and the more damage that goes unchecked.

So I gave him Tylenol, like all the literature says.  I made him eat a good dinner and drink lots of water.  I woke him every two hours during the night just to check on him, but like most people who are concussed, he wasn't really sleeping anyways.

Today, I'm keeping a close eye on any new symptoms and hoping that he can get some rest this afternoon after his interview.   Here is some more information for you about concussions.  This one is specifically dealing with athletics, but they can happen in any situation.

Have a great Friday!

B

No comments:

Post a Comment