Thursday, September 18, 2014

How to stay in touch when you live far away


I have spent the last 6 years living away from home. The first four were spent 4 hours away at Kent State University(GO FLASHES).

 Year five was spent 4 hours away at the University of Tennessee (GO VOLS). 
 

 Year six and currently I live 24 hours from home in Colorado.
 


Keeping in touch these days is easy right? 


Not so much. I work a ridiculous amount of hours per week currently because I'm pursuing the next management step. Keeping in touch with my friends and family becomes increasingly hard.  The two hour time difference between Ohio and Colorado doesn't help much either.  Luckily I have friends who are night owls, so I get to talk to a few friends pretty regularly.  

How to keep in touch when you live far away?
  1. Make a date with your friends/relatives to talk. It amps anticipation and gives you something to look forward to.
  2. Utilize text messaging. It's easy, fast, and be realistic(you are on your phone all the time anyways)
  3. Skype/Facetime/ Kinect are your friends.  Learn to use them.  Hearing someone's voice is one thing, seeing them even from a distance, is even better. We use the Kinect to see my sister in law and brother in law and my niece and nephew since they live in Washington.  It's not a long conversation, but it helps us feel more involved in their lives. 
  4. Let people know when you are thinking of them.  It will make a difference in their day.  Text/Call/ leave a Facebook message. It's amazing what knowing that someone is thinking about you will do for your day. 
As much as I would like to go lay on a beach, that idea is not in my near future.  To compensate, I'm wearing a beachy scent( Pink Beach- Beach babe.

And looking at this gorgeous picture with envy. I want to swing there! For now, I'll stay happy with my mountains and probably call my parents.



Happy Thursday!
B

No comments:

Post a Comment