Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Help 101: asking for what you need to get what you want



I hate asking for help.  Some part of me believes I am all powerful. But the reality is that I'm not all powerful or superhuman. I can't do it all and often I need help.  It is the thing that takes the most strength.  It is the most powerful thing that I can do to help myself.  

Let me say...I HATE asking for help.  I hate asking for support. I guess in my family that was given unconditionally.  It's weird for me to ask for it. But I've had to since most people do not give help or support like my family does.  It was a transition that I had to make especially once David and I moved to Colorado.  The only people we are social with are our neighbors- half of whom are over the age of 60.  We have no friends because I work such crazy hours and I don't have time to go out and make friends. The time we have together we want to spend just with each other.   

Working such crazy hours I needed support from both my boss and my boyfriend.  Working crazy hours puts a lot of strain on any relationship.  It's hard to keep a relationship going when you see each other for only a few hours a day a few times a week. David has stepped up and become the man I need him to be.  He is supportive and listens to me talk about work no matter how positive or negative that talk is.  
 
 I finally told my boss that I need support from her and she has stepped up as well. I finally have the support that I need at home and at work and it wasn't easy to ask or sometimes to receive that support.  I am very independent and letting someone else handle the details is hard for me.  I had to let the reins go a little bit at work but it is helping tremendously to have less on my plate.  Now I can focus more on the things that matter instead of having to sweat the details. 
 
How to ask for help?
  1. Put together a list of things you need help with- support/dishes/more time to yourself?
  2. Who can help you with each task?
  3. Talk to the people who can help you.
  4. Ask them for help.  Most people love to help others; they are simply never asked. Let them know how much their assistance means to you.

Imagine what would happen if you asked for the help you need/want.  How much better would your life be?

No comments:

Post a Comment